Due to the Leicester local lockdown we will not be opening until restrictions ease.
The pub was built in the early 18th century by William Prat, a farmer who owned the farmhouse adjacent to the Heathcote. It was originally built as four cottages for his sons, after the passing of two sons the middle cottages became empty and were sold off to the Heathcote Family.
Mrs Moyer, an aunt of the Heathcote Family moved into the cottages in 1811 and realised the village lacked a convenient meeting place, she had an additional room built onto the back of the property with a large room above it for village meetings. Later that year she decided to turn it into a public house and used her maiden name "Heathcote" to name it the Heathcote Arms.
During Moyer's time owning the pub she had a building built to brew beer in. Once the Heathcote Arms had been passed on to a new tenants the Brew house became a slaughter house, which suited the Heathcote's because of the farming backgrounds.
By 1892 the pub was selling beer brewed by Thomas William Everard Co . On 24th June 1899 a lease to the Heathcote Arms had been agreed with Thomas William Everard for 21 Years.
On the 23rd February 1920 a sale had been agreed with Everards for £4000.
The first tenant of the pub under Everards was Croft man Herbert Taylor, who took the licence from the 12th May 1921.
In 1926 the stable which had been used for farming by the Heathcote Family became a Skittle Alley.
In 1986 a roofed walkway was constructed as the toilets had always been across the yard from the pub. Then in 1990 a toilet block was added on to the main building and the pub was completely reroofed.
In 1926 the average takings per month were £256.
By the time costs such as Rent (£17), Bar help (£3) and Brewery (£143) etc had been taken at a total of £213, the average profit per month for the pub was £42 (Equivalent roughly to £1500 in 2017)
Copyright © 2018 The Heathcote Arms - All Rights Reserved.